Material Handler / Operator I - TX
October 17, 2020
JOB SUMMARY: Performs various manual operations and operates equipment in a warehouse and logistics process. Receives, identifies, stores, picks and moves goods and material and operates hand trucks, pallet jacks, forklifts, palletizers and other equipment as required.
The Material Handler/Operator path has three levels of responsibility, Material Handler/Operator I, Material Handler/Operator II and Material Handler/Operator III. Each level has increasing levels of understanding and operation of warehouse activities, equipment and documentation.
Common Working Titles May Include: Freight Handler, Material Handler, Forklift Operator, and Warehouse Worker. This does not include drivers or office employees.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES: Material Handler/Operator I Summary: Moves product and material using manual or equipment operation. Verifies information, prepares orders and completes appropriate documents; typically involves more manual operations, more routine or standard in nature and basic or less complex requirements.
• Performs various manual labor functions such as picking inventory, counting cargo, product and material and hand staging and loading goods; uses manual equipment such as hand truck or pallet jack.
• Receives, stores, and distributes material, tools, equipment, and products within assigned area.
• Prepares and assembles orders, moves materials and items from receiving or production areas to storage or to other designated areas.
• Sorts and places materials or items on racks, shelves, pallets or in bins according to predetermined sequence such as size, type, style, color, product code and related characteristics; tend to be more routine or typical.
• Operates a forklift once certified and required; operation tends to be more limited or is less complex operation/movements.
• Completes or verifies appropriate forms, documents, labels and other information to ensure the accuracy of inventory, monitor and track material and successful receiving and/or delivery of goods; tends to be basic information or standard in nature.
• Operates hand tools to close or open bales, build or tear down crates, and other containers or material; tends to be more predictable packaging.
• Ensures compliance with company policies and procedures and a safe and effective work environment.
• Assists with identifying potential operational or service concerns, notifies appropriate co-workers and assists with resolving.
• Performs various warehouse maintenance tasks, including sweeping floors, cleaning docks, staging, packing, racking and related storage areas, proper storing equipment, basic preventative maintenance and related tasks.
• Develops and maintains excellent customer service to internal and external customers at all times, such as working collaboratively, providing timely communications and instruction and assisting with operations as necessary .
• Performs other duties as assigned.