Co- General Counsel (attorney) | Harvard Innovation Labs VP incubated - Non-Profit Org (part-time, remote, volunteer)
September 14, 2020
Co- General Counsel (attorney) | Harvard Innovation Labs VP incubated - Non-Profit Org (part-time, remote, volunteer) Owensboro, KY /
0 Co-General Counsel /
Apply for this job
Do you want to improve the world? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to join a driven, tight-knit community of highly-talented peers at a world-changing organization just as they started growing rapidly? Excited by the opportunity to power world-class entrepreneurs and Changemakers as they work to positively impact the lives of 100,000’s & 1,000,000’s?
At Ignite Mental Health we're accelerating world-class mental health entrepreneurs and mobilizing key change agents to catalyze the scalable innovations and legislative changes needed to transform the future of student mental health literacy and access. Using this approach, we're working to make the impossible inevitable; helping build and scale lasting legislative changes and breakthrough organizations to be as impactful as Google and Facebook that focus solely on equipping every student with a standard measure of mental health literacy and access.
All of us at Ignite have experienced first-hand, or through that of loved ones and friends, the pain caused by how broken our approaches towards mental health really are. This has driven us to come together to unite some of the best minds and doers on the planet to fix it, on a national scale and accelerated timeline.
Become a member of a bold and ambitious mission-driven team which grew rapidly with the support of the Harvard Innovation Labs Venture Program, to become a nationwide effort in just nine months! You will perch atop a fast-growing organization working to catalyze national and global change with the opportunity to learn, grow, and hopefully thrive in our fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and impact-driven environment.
Ignite Mental Health Accelerator Inc. is a 501(c)(3) currently providing pro-bono accelerator services to mental health literacy and access-focused growth-stage organizations. Ignite Mental Health Action is an MA non-profit corporation currently being registered as a 501(c)(4) which focuses on state-level legislative changes.
The General Council function will comprise 1-2 Co-General Counsels with split areas of responsibilities supported by a Legal Advisory Board (in-formation) who will report to Ignite's CEO and Board of Directors.
More about you
We are looking for a boldly ambitious, incredibly resourceful, and high-achieving Co-General Counsel who is enthralled by the challenge and excited by the opportunity to co-assemble, co-lead and inspire a world-class General Counsel Team & Legal Advisory Board to help Ignite drive sweeping improvements in national mental health literacy and access.
If you are an experienced attorney looking to join a tight-knit, entrepreneurial and world-class team to tackle a problem affecting every facet of society and in doing so help reduce suffering and save lives on a national scale, then this may be the perfect opportunity for you.
PS: As you saw from the title, we're straight up that we're not funded by a zillionaire (yet!) and this is a non-compensated opening that is volunteer in nature at a social impact non-profit.
We’re expanding our world-class team... This is where you come in.
What you’ll do (alongside another Co-General Counsel) • Collaborate with Talent Acquisition & the L.A.B Chair to assemble a best-fit Legal Advisory Board and Co-General Counsel members.
• Own the outcome of ensuring that both entities (c3 & c4) are compliant with federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. Provide proactive counsel and guidance on legal matters/implications of all organizational matters.
• Help minimize organizational risks through proactive, regular assessment & issue spotting. Oversee and track lobbying activities (dependent on your area of expertise). Support governance activities (Board actions, corporate record keeping).
• Collaborate with Chief of People to ensure that personnel policies are up to date in all employment states and consistently applied. Additional duties dependent on needs.
Must haves • Juris doctor (JD) and current state license to practice law.
• Minimum four (4) years as in-house counsel, preferably for a nonprofit, or six (6) years in private practice advising organizations on a wide range of legal issues.
• Prior experience working with a c3 and c4 is preferable but not required.
• Substantial experience as the primary lawyer working directly with clients or organizational leader.
• High degree of professional ethics, integrity, and judgment.
• Deeply driven to transform the future of mental health (but that's a given!).
Time, Structure & Financial • Success in this role may involve volunteering 5 to 10 hours per week. The Co-General Counsel will join a team of 1-2 Co-General Counsels who will split areas of responsibilities. Hours can be flexible based on the Co-General Counsel's schedule with ample options to integrate with the team both during and after standard 9-5 EST hours.
• Ignite Mental Health currently operates a tight-knit and uniquely high-skilled, volunteer-run non-profit social impact organization; efficiently coordinated by a core HQ team of exceptionally dedicated leaders, collectively lending their time to help reduce suffering and save lives on a national scale and accelerated timeline.
• This position is non-compensated and volunteer in nature. We assist all candidates who are enrolled in or work for a University or Sponsoring Organization, with the preparation of all documentation required to support applications for stipends, non-profit work pay related programs, financial fellowships or financial scholarships. As a newly incorporated social-impact non-profit our incoming Capital Raising Team will be working hard to establish partnerships to fund stipends, renumeration etc. At this moment, however, we are unfortunately unable to commit to renumeration of any form.
• Third-party websites may provide erroneously calculated salary projections for positions. These estimates are not provided by Ignite and are incorrect.
Location • Our Co-General Counsel would be welcome to work remotely from anywhere in the world or in-person with our Founder and key team members in the Boston area. In-person options may be dependent on a range of COVID-19 health and safety related factors.
Perks which we've heard some enjoy • Join an highly talented community of like-minded peers across the US while working on high-impact projects to transform the future of mental health nationally.
• Develop new skills, insights, connections and experience in a fast-changing entrepreneurial environment.
• + a whole load of others which you'll learn during the conversation process!
Ignite Mental Health is not a department of Harvard University, nor are we in anyway owned or operated by the University. Ignite was founded by Harvard students/ alumni and incubated by and worked (pre-covid) out of the Harvard Innovation Labs Venture Program. We ask that all communications are directed to Ignite and not the Harvard Innovation Lab.
This description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work which may be performed by persons assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties, responsibilities or other potentially relevant information which may change between the date of this posting and potential interviews.
We're working to scale innovative solutions and legislative changes —unafraid of transforming traditional approaches—that tackle the root causes of some of the biggest problems affecting mental health.
Are you in?
Apply for this job
Ignite Mental Health Home Page
Jobs powered by