Instructional Assistant I
September 10, 2020
JOB CLASS: 7320
JOB TITLE: INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT I
• Associate Degree, Minimum of 48 credited college hours or Pass a state approved test.
• Previous experience working with children preferred.
• Has met the requirements of a criminal record check as specified by Kentucky State law and other requirements as specified in district policy.
• Must demonstrate and/or develop skills to operate office and educational equipment.
• Demonstrates competent language skills.
• Some experience working with children in an organized setting.
• Basic subjects taught in the District schools, including arithmetic, grammar, spelling, language and reading.
• Safe practices in classroom and playground activities.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Basic record-keeping techniques.
• Learn child guidance principles and practices.
• Communicate and maintain effective relationships with students, parents, staff and the public including members of ethnic communities.
• Perform routine clerical duties in support of classroom activities.
• Print and write legibly.
• Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Learn procedures, functions and limitations of assigned duties.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Learn to apply and explain policies and procedures related to school and program activities.
• Work cooperatively with others.
• Monitor, observe and report student behavior according to approved policies and procedures.
• Operate instructional and office equipment.
• Maintains confidentiality of records and all information concerning students and classroom activities; refers all questions to teacher or principal.
• Is punctual and prepared for immediate assumption of duties upon arrival at school, utilizes time appropriately and maintains good attendance
• Reports to work promptly and on a regular basis and maintains continuity of instruction throughout the school year.
• Attends appropriate professional development meetings.
• Consistently projects a positive attitude toward the school and community.
• Assists with the administration of the classroom assessments which will be scored by the teacher for use in instructional planning.
• Assists in large-group instruction.
• Assists children with self-care activities as needed, i.e., feeding and toileting (diapering when necessary).
• Tutors, without direct supervision, both individually and with small groups of children.
• Assists in reviewing home and seat work activities.
• Assists children with oral and written communication, make-up work, and hands-on activities.
• Observes and records student behavior, assists in behavior management systems designed by the teacher to meet individual student needs; reinforces positive behavior of students.
• Participates in reading and story-telling activities.
• Assists the teacher with helping each child develop socially, emotionally, cognitively, and physically at his/her own rate.
• Collects and prepares materials and manages displays, teaching centers, and similar instructional activities.
• Records written materials for children who have visual or physical disabilities.
• Helps children solve personal conflicts with other children.
• Is familiar with fire and tornado exit procedures and crisis policies, and assists with implementation as necessary.
• Works with audio-visual equipment, copying machines, etc.
• Assists in classroom organization and management.
• Assists on instructional field trips.
• Assists certified persons in implementing all policies and regulations governing student conduct for the classroom and related school activities.
• Assists on instructional field trips.
• Administer health services to students as necessary, including, but not limited to, the administration of medication; the operation, maintenance, or health care through the use of medical equipment; or the administration of clinical procedures.
• Classified salary schedule
• Classified benefits package
Equal Education and Employment Opportunities M/F/D
Primary Location Newton Parrish Elementary School Salary Range Per Hour Shift Type Full Time