Trimmer B/2nd Class
September 11, 2020
The Townsend Corporation
Posted: 1 Days ago
Owensboro, Kentucky, US
*** for Townsend Tree Service (Utility) ***
Townsend Tree Service is an operating unit of The Townsend Corporation providing tree-trimming, clearance and integrated vegetation management services for power and communication lines, pipelines and roadways.
We possess extensive equipment capabilities and resources, with one of the largest fleets of All Terrain Aerial Buckets (ATAB), Right-of-Way (ROW) brush mowers, spray application equipment and other specialty tools.
With the use of modern IVM techniques and advanced herbicides that target invasive species, Townsend provides the best in habitat management. With our research partners, Townsend helps redefine right of way stewardship, producing benefits like improved motorist safety, better service crew access, lower maintenance costs, improved drainage and enhanced aesthetics.
Under supervision, a Trimmer B/2nd Class maintains trees for public safety. This position provides tree trimming for assigned jobs by pruning, cutting, removing, and caring for trees. A Trimmer B/2nd Class may be exposed to hazards of working near traffic, falling limbs, and power lines making attention to detail and safety guidelines critical. A Trimmer B/2nd Class is a mid-level class in the Tree Trimmer series. This position provides and receives on-the-job training, specific day-to-day directions.
• Properly maintains tools and equipment used to work around energized power lines
• Identifies due diligence and assesses tree failure risk
• Performs ground operations and equipment usage
• Performs precision tree felling and safe operation of chain saws
• Performs tree-climbing operations
• Performs tree pruning and tree removal functions
• Performs brush chipping and stump grinding
• Uses climbing hooks, belts, ropes and climb ladders to gain access and move safely in trees
• Operates and maintains tree-trimming equipment including trucks, aerial lift trucks, chain saws, pole pruners, root pruners, stump grinders, and brush chippers
• Performs traffic control to ensure the safety of cars, pedestrians and tree crew in traffic areas
• Cables, braces, ties, bolts, stakes and guys trees and branches to provide support
• Cleans, sharpens and lubricates tools and equipment
• Clears sites, streets, and grounds of woody and herbaceous materials, such as tree stumps, fallen trees, and limbs
• Collects debris and refuse from tree trimming and removal operations into piles, using shovels, rakes or other tools
• Cuts away dead and excess branches from trees or clears branches around power lines, using climbing equipment or buckets of extended truck booms and chainsaws, hooks, handsaws, shears and clippers
• Inspects trees to determine if they have diseases or pest problems
• Loads debris and refuse onto trucks and hauls it away for disposal
• Operates shredding and chipping equipment and feeds limbs and brush into the machines
• Sprays trees to treat diseased or unhealthy trees, including mixing chemicals and calibrating spray equipment
• Removes broken limbs from wires using hooked extension poles
• Trims jagged stumps using saws or pruning shears
• Trims, tops and reshapes trees to achieve attractive shapes or to remove low-hanging branches
• Hoists tools and equipment to tree trimmers and lowers branches with ropes or block and tackle
• Provides training to other trimmers
• Demonstrates knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions
• Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use lowering techniques, saw maintenance and devices as related to tree work in the field
• Must be semi-skilled in mechanics
• Must be proficient in proper tree groundwork including but not limited to basic tree pruning and tree removal
• Must be able to complete a proficiency test consisting of climbing a ladder; knot tying; chain saw maintenance; the safe and proper handling and operation of chain saws, chippers, and stump grinders
• Must demonstrate appropriate tree groundwork abilities using a variety of equipment including but not limited to ropes, pole pruners, etc.
• Performs other duties as assigned
What You’ll Bring to the Team
• Experience with a tree care/maintenance program, including but not limited to the operation of stump grinders, chippers, chipper trucks, bucket trucks, and other tree-related equipment
• Possession of valid Driver’s License
• Must have an acceptable driving record
• May be required to pass a Department of Transportation physical examination to obtain the appropriate Commercial Driver’s License
• Must be able to meet all physical requirements of the position
• Pass all drug and alcohol screens as required by Company policy and, if applicable, required by DOT regulations
• Be at least 18 years of age, or 21 if CDL is required
• Legally authorized to work in the United States
Townsend’s number one core value is Safety; we operate a strict Drug Free workplace. A condition of employment is passing a drug screening and routine background checks. Vehicle operators will be required to have and maintain safe driving records and licenses.
Our Goal is to assure that all employees work safely and return home safely to their families every day.
Competitive Benefits + Compensation
Townsend and its family of companies are committed to employees, their development and their well-being. Townsend offers full-time employees with a variety of voluntary benefit plans.
• Competitive Compensation
• Paid Time Off to balance Work and Family
• Health Care
• Vision Care
• Dental Care
• Short and Long Term Disability
• 401K Plan
• Life Insurance
These benefits help employees and their families to maintain a high quality of life, both professionally and personally.
The Townsend Corporation and its family of companies are equal opportunity/affirmative action employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.