Great opportunity for Veterinary Technicians available! Check us out
September 11, 2020
Full-Time The Veterinary Technician will fill a combination role that includes rotation that supports all hospital departments. The role is provided regular job variety and rotates between supporting all roles of the team including Reception, Hospital, Exam/Pharmacy, Surgery, and Kennel. This role is an invaluable member of the hospital team who works directly with a multiple members of the team including Hospital Manager, CSR team, Hospital team, and Veterinarians to provide exceptional client service while maintaining a smooth and efficient flow of clients and patients through the animal hospital as well as ensuring productive and quality veterinary care at all times.
The overall scope of the job responsibilities are outlined below:
• Assists the veterinarian during examination of animals, providing restraint as needed in order to work safely and effectively.
• Prepares and administer medications, vaccines, serums, and treatments, as prescribed by the veterinarian.
• Performs routine dental cleanings on animals under the direction of the veterinarian.
• Administers anesthesia to animals under the direction of the veterinarian and monitors animals’ responses to anesthetics so that dosages can be adjusted.
• Obtains radiographs of animals with knowledge of proper positioning and techniques.
• Cares for and monitors the condition of animals recovering from surgery.
• Performs laboratory tests on blood, urine, and feces, such as urinalyses and blood counts, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
• Administers emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other life-saving procedures.
• Collects, prepares, and labels samples for laboratory testing, culture, or microscopic examination.
• Cleans and sterilizes instruments, equipment, and materials.
• Provides the veterinarian with the correct equipment and instruments, as needed.
• Fills prescriptions, measuring medications and labeling containers.
• Prepares animals for surgery, performing such tasks as shaving surgical areas and placing IV catheters.
• Maintains clean examination rooms and treatment areas.
• Works collaboratively with veterinarians to ensure that all animals are being cared for properly and moving through the system efficiently.
• Responsible for greeting clients, determining the needs of the clients and patients, and completing the check-in and check-out process. Models a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
• Follows established policy and procedures in scheduling clients for prompt treatment of ill and/or injured patients, as well as proper scheduling of patients in need of vaccinations, rechecks, surgeries, in-hospital procedures, and other services that require the doctors’ and technicians’ time.
• Helps with client reminders for annual health assessments, parasite checks, dentistry, senior care, etc.
• Pulls patient charts for daily scheduled appointments and collects information to make necessary updates, including the creation of new charts, when appropriate.
• Assists technician in filling prescriptions with appropriate medication and providing routine instructions to owners on the proper administration of the medication.
• Performs over-the-counter sales of merchandise such as food and special diets, shampoos, flea and tick control products, heartworm, etc. Demonstrates a technical knowledge of products and is capable of assisting clients with their product needs.
• Invoices clients, collects fees, makes change, imprints credit card forms, and obtains authorization for credit charges following the credit policies of the hospital.
• Demonstrates basic emergency procedures and can give proper information on transporting the patient to the hospital. Responsible for advising hospital staff about incoming emergencies.
• Maintains appearance and cleanliness of the waiting room and reception area, including re-stocking of products, office supplies, client educational materials, hospital brochures, etc.
• Prepares and sends welcome letters, new client information packets, referral and thank you letters, condolences, long wait notes, and other correspondence for the doctors and/or Hospital Manager.
• Demonstrates a full working knowledge of AVImark procedures and functional applications.
• Skills and Basic Qualifications*
• Certification as a Veterinary Technician (or equivalent experience/education)
• Prior client service experience in related area preferred but not required
• Proper telephone etiquette and client service excellence
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, e-mail, and AVImark experience preferred)
• Strong organizational skills with ability to multi-task and still attend to details
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced environment.
• Ability to effectively handle and control aggressive animals.
• Must be able to handle the physical and emotional aspect of work in a veterinary clinic environment, including the use of euthanasia.
• Models a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
• Commitment to ongoing educational development and growth.
• Must have active listening, critical thinking, complex problem solving, time management, judgment and decision making skills.
• Ability to take after-hours emergency shift assignments
• Valid driver’s license with good driving record.
Job Type: Full-time
• Dental insurance
• Disability insurance
• Employee discount
• Health insurance
• Life insurance
• Paid time off
• Professional development assistance
• Retirement plan
• Vision insurance
• Monday to Friday
• On Call
• Bonus pay
• Signing bonus
• Veterinary: 1 year (Required)
• High school or equivalent (Required)
• United States (Required)
• One location
Company's Facebook page: