Evening Custodian 187 Days OHS
September 10, 2020
JOB CLASS: 7609
CLASSIFICATION: EVENING CUSTODIAN
• Any combination equivalent to: high school diploma or GED certificate
• Must be able to work evening hours
REPORTS TO: School Principal
JOB GOAL: Perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school site or facility to maintain buildings, locker rooms and adjacent grounds areas in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
• Perform routine custodial activities at assigned District school site; sweep, scrub, mop, wash and polish floors and vacuum rugs and carpets in classrooms, offices, workshops and other assigned work areas; spot clean and shampoo carpets; glue and perform carpet stretching and repairs as assigned.
• Clean classrooms, restrooms, showers, locker rooms, shops, cafeteria, offices and related facilities as assigned; sweep, mop and clean gymnasium floor as assigned; spot mop spills and remove gum and debris; monitor gym events to assure orderly behavior and to protect the building from damage; clean tables, chairs and floors after lunch periods as assigned.
• Clean and disinfect drinking fountains, sinks, toilets, showers and urinals; clean mirrors, tile and windows.
• Report safety, sanitary and fire hazards to appropriate authority; report and recommend need for maintenance repairs to appropriate authority’ maintain security of building; report suspicious or unauthorized individuals on campus; report infractions of rules to supervisor.
• Wash windows and walls; clean chalkboards, trays and erasers and empty pencil sharpeners; assemble, move and arrange furniture, supplies and equipment in preparing classrooms and multi-purpose rooms for special events or meetings.
• Clean Venetian blinds, dust and polish furniture and woodwork and make minor non-technical repairs as needed.
• Lock and unlock doors and gates as appropriate; maintain security of assigned areas according to established guidelines; turn alarm system off in the morning and on in the evenings as directed.
• Order supplies according to established guidelines and procedures.
• Pick up and rake paper, trash and debris around school grounds and in buildings sweep and clean walkways and entrances; dispose of trash according to established procedures; wash out trash cans and follow established sanitation procedures and standards.
• Pack, unpack, load, receive and store books, supplies, materials and other items.
• Operate cleaning equipment such as vacuums, floor stripper, cleaning, buffer and polisher, carpet shampooer, scrubbers, high-pressure sprayer, manual and power sweepers and power blowers as assigned.
• Shovel, plow and sand walks and steps as directed.
• Trim areas around building and grounds using push lawn mower and power trimming equipment.
• Respond to emergency cleanups such as spills; maintain records of observed maintenance, repair needs and safety issues.
• Participate in major summer cleaning projects as assigned.
• Replace light bulbs and fluorescent tubes.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Acts in accordance with the by-laws and policies as set forth by the Owensboro Board of Education, KRS and KAR, and applicable Federal laws and regulations.
• Demonstrates loyalty and dedication to the purposes and goals of the Owensboro Public Schools.
CRITICAL SKILLS/EXPERTISE REQUIRED:
• Basic methods, materials, tools and equipment used in custodial work and routine maintenance.
• Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
• Proper lifting techniques.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school site or facility to maintain buildings, locker rooms and adjacent grounds areas in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
• Use cleaning materials, equipment and methods according to pre-determined standards.
• Learn and apply knowledge of the schedules, procedures and use of equipment and supplies used in custodial work.
• Learn appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
• Maintain tools and equipment assigned in clean working order and provide proper security.
• Perform minor non-technical repair.
• Observe and report need for maintenance and repair.
• Perform heavy physical labor.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Communicate effectively with others.
• Inspect and assure the security of facilities during assigned shift.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Walk, bend, lift push and stand for extended periods of time.
• Classified salary schedule
• Classified benefits package
• 187 Days per year
• 8 hours per day
• Evening Hours
Equal Education and Employment Opportunities M/F/D
Primary Location Owensboro High School Salary Range Per Hour Shift Type Full Time