Instructional Assistant-Estes Elementary School
September 4, 2020
JOB CLASS: 7320
JOB TITLE: INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT -Early Learning Academy Estes Elementary School
REPORTS TO: PRINCIPAL
• High School Diploma or G.E.D
• Passing Score on the Kentucky Para-educator Assessment or 48 college hours
• Previous experience working with children, preferred.
• Has met the requirements of a criminal record check as specified by Kentucky State law and other requirements as specified in district policy.
• Demonstrates competent language skills.
• Effective communication skills
Under the direction of the supervising teacher or Principal, the instructional assistant participates as a member of the instructional program including tutoring students, assisting in documentation of pupil progress, preparation, and organization of materials and equipment.
• Basic subjects taught in schools, including math, science, spelling, language and reading.
• Safe practices in classroom and playground activities.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Basic record-keeping techniques.
• Basic computer skills including the use of google, email, and website navigation.
ESSENTIAL Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintains confidentiality of records and all information concerning students and classroom activities; refers all questions to teacher or principal.
• Reports to work promptly and on a regular basis and maintains continuity of instruction throughout the school day.
• Attends appropriate professional development meetings.
• Consistently projects a positive attitude toward the school and community.
• Assists with the administration of the classroom assessments which will be scored by the teacher for use in instructional planning.
• Assists in large-group instruction.
• Assists children with self-care activities as needed, i.e., feeding and toileting (diapering when necessary).
• Tutors, without direct supervision, both individually and with small groups of children.
• Assists in reviewing home and seat work activities.
• Assists children with oral and written communication, make-up work, and hands-on activities.
• Observes and records student behavior, assists in behavior management systems designed by the teacher to meet individual student needs; reinforces positive behavior of students.
• Participates in reading and story-telling activities.
• Assists the teacher with helping each child develop socially, emotionally, cognitively, and physically at his/her own rate.
• Collects and prepares materials and manages displays, teaching centers, and similar instructional activities.
• Records written materials for children who have visual or physical disabilities.
• Helps children solve personal conflicts with other children.
• Is familiar with fire and tornado exit procedures and crisis policies, and assists with implementation as necessary.
• Works with audio-visual equipment, copying machines, etc.
• Assists in classroom organization and management.
• Assists on instructional field trips.
• Assists certified persons in implementing all policies and regulations governing student conduct for the classroom and related school activities.
• Assists on instructional field trips.
• Administer health services to students as necessary, including, but not limited to, the administration of medication; the operation, maintenance, or health care through the use of medical equipment; or the administration of clinical procedures.
• Operates and cares for equipment used in the classroom for instructional purposes
• Performs all other functions deemed necessary by the teacher/principal that are reasonable and covered by local board policy or law.
• Maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance during regularly scheduled work hours.
Indoor, environmentally controlled. Typical office environment including but not limited to telephones, personal interruptions, background noises. Will require working with or near the public, parents, and children and will be subject to sounds, scents, and other related environmental factors. This position will require dealing with conflict and requires use of sound judgement.
Physical Demands: (example)
• Light lifting
• Sitting for long periods of time
• Hand and finger dexterity
• Repetitive movement
• Standing and walking intermittently throughout a typical work day
• Kneeling, squatting, sitting on the floor, and small chairs
Travel Requirements: (Frequency and Duration)
• Less than 10% out of district
• Daily as needed within district boundaries
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on Certified Evaluation Plan. The evaluation will be conducted by the Principal and teacher.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
• Classified salary schedule based on verified experience
• Classified benefits package
• FLSA Classification: Non exempt
• Contract Days: 182
• 7 hours per day
• 2020-2021 School Year
• This posting will expire:September 7, 2020
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are require of the employee for this job. Location, duties, responsibilities may be altered to meet the needs of the district.
Contracts are with the district of Owensboro Public Schools-not with the individual locations. Location assignments are subject to change.
Equal Education and Employment Opportunities M/F/D
Primary Location Estes Elementary School Salary Range Per Hour Shift Type Full Time