Bus Monitor/School Aide
July 23, 2020
JOB CLASS: 7942
TITLE: BUS MONITOR/SCHOOL AIDE
JOB Description: To assist in providing safe transportation for students to and from school, to assist in the school by cleaning during lunch and as needed during other times of the day.
REPORTS TO: Transportation Coordinator and School Principal
• High School diploma or GED certificate
• Hold a valid drivers’ license
• Must meet the requirements of a criminal record check as specified by Kentucky state law
• Demonstrated aptitude or competence for assigned responsibilities
• Has met all health requirements as specified in district personnel policy
• Has successfully completed all training required by state law and local board policy
• Previous working with students preferred
• Safe practices concerning school bus transportation.
• Basic record-keeping techniques.
• Applicable sections of the KAR and other applicable laws.
• Health and safety regulations.
• Child development
Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist student loading, unloading and supervision of students on the bus.
• Maintain required transportation records under the COVID-19 regulations, including seating charts.
• Understand and relate to children with special needs.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Lift students according to established guidelines.
• Maintain current knowledge of Emergency Evacuation procedures.
• Observe health and safety regulations.
• Maintain assigned vehicle in a clean and safe operating condition.
• Recognize equipment malfunctions and take appropriate action.
• Learn designated bus routes including stops and traffic hazards.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with students and parents.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Learn, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Assists the bus driver in maintaining good student conduct on the bus.
• Perform temperature checks of bus riders, and communicate with staff/parents accordingly.
• Provide and monitor use of masks/face coverings of bus riders.
• Assist in meal service monitoring, cleaning, and delivery.
• Assist in cleaning duties as necessary (surface cleaning, trash removal, floor cleaning, etc.)
• Assist as needed in health rooms to monitor students.
• Assist young or disabled students in getting on and off the bus.
• Assures that students get on and off the bus in an orderly fashion.
• Provides written records of violations of the student code to the Director of Transportation.
• Collects and turns over to the school secretary those personal items left on the bus by students.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
• Acts in accordance with the by-laws and policies as set forth by the Owensboro Board of Education, KRS and KAR, and applicable Federal laws and regulations.
• Demonstrates loyalty and dedication to the purposes and goals of the Owensboro Public Schools.
• Properly supervise passengers on the bus in accordance with transportation regulations, and with pupil personnel code of conduct.
• Take proper care of the bus and see that it is maintained in safe operation condition.
• Conduct routine required inspections and provide the proper documentation.
• Attend safety meetings and workshops as determined by the Director of Transportation.
• Meet the training requirement set forth in State and district regulations.
• Meet those responsibilities as set forth in the Board’s Handbook for School Bus Drivers, State Board of Education regulations, applicable statutory laws, and directives of the Superintendent of Director of Transportation.
• Perform other duties that may not be specifically covered in this general job description, as assigned by the Director of Transportation and/or his assistant and/or Building Principals.
• Demonstrate a consistent and positive behavior toward students and patrons in order to foster positive public relations.
• Maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance during regularly scheduled work hours.
Typical outdoor environment and inside bus, exposed to sounds and noise levels that could be distracting or uncomfortable. May be exposed to contaminants and diseases and infections carried by school children. Will be required to work indoors assisting with lunch room duties.
• Exposed to vibration, frequently exposed to fumes, odors or airborne particles, toxins or caustic chemicals.
• Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and outside weather conditions year-round.
• Noise level is usually moderate to loud
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on the Classified Evaluation Plan. The evaluation will be conducted by the Transportation Coordinator and Principal.
Terms of Employment:
• Classified salary schedule
• Classified benefits package
• FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
• 6.5 hours per day
• Hours will be divided between bus monitoring and school aide
• 170 days per year
• 2020-2021 School Year
• This posting will expire: 07/31/2020 or when filled.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are require of the employee for this job. Location, duties, responsibilities may be altered to meet the needs of the district.
Contracts are with the district of Owensboro Public Schools-not with the individual locations. Location assignments are subject to change
Equal Education and Employment Opportunities M/F/D
Primary Location Transportation Salary Range Per Hour Shift Type Full Time