Elementary School Guidance Counselor - Deer Park Elementary
July 20, 2020
Job Class Description: SCHOOL COUNSELOR
Class Code: 1050
Job Title: SCHOOL GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
Supervisory Responsibilities: STUDENTS
Position Type: FULL-TIME
FLSA Classification: EXEMPT
Reports To: PRINCIPAL
Location: VARIES BASED ON ASSIGNMENT
Commensurate with salary range on the DCPS certified salary schedule
Hours Per Day: Varies based on assigned location
Contracted Days: Varies based on assigned location
· Hold a valid Kentucky Teaching Certificate for School GUIDANCE COUNSELOR (K-12)
· Minimum of 3 years classroom teaching experience
· Experience with students in the area of school counseling
· Basic computer skills, e-mail, websites, and state required sites such as Infinite Campus.
· Short and long-range planning techniques applicable to area of school counseling.
· In-service materials, subject matter and methods in area of school counseling.
· Required documentation and organization skills to fulfill requirements.
· Communication and Leadership skills.
· Evidence based techniques for screening and intervening with a variety of behavioral, social and emotional issues of concern.
· Research methods and report writing for documentation.
· Laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities.
· Policies and objectives of assigned program and activities.
· Knowledge of social-emotional curriculum appropriate for Preschool – 12 th grade.
· Principles of training and providing work direction.
· Best Practice strategies for counseling, trauma-informed care and social-emotional learning in the school setting.
Provides a functional, comprehensive school program of direct counseling services for all students utilizing counseling specific strategies and expertise gained through professional training in the areas of school counseling and guidance. The responsibilities and services will emphasize the counseling of students; consultation with teachers, parents and other stakeholder adults; and coordinating a variety of activities and school functions related to the academic, social, emotional and physical needs of students. The school counselor is expected to meet state and district requirements to provide direct service to students. Counselors provide data-informed, universal and targeted learning experiences to develop the whole child in a diverse society.
Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
· Conducts an annual needs assessment and evaluation of the school counseling program through surveys, etc.
· Counsels students individually and in small groups, concerning a variety of tasks and problems.
· Provides prevention programs through classroom guidance and individual counseling.
· Establishes efficient routines and procedures for the effective implementation of school-wide counseling support.
· Cooperates with and assists teachers, and Family Resource and Youth Service Center staff, in planning to meet the overall needs of students and families.
· Participates as a member/leader in the school intervention team.
· Ability to plan for consistent support students in the area of counseling.
· Participates in relevant meetings and training to support the academic and social/emotional needs of students and staff.
· Knowledge and immediate use of state reporting laws pertaining to the duty to report known and/or suspected abuse and neglect.
· Knowledge of community services available to assist with social and emotional needs of students and their families.
· Ability to screen for mental health needs of students and refer to appropriate mental health supports within the district.
· Knowledge and immediate use of procedures for students who present with statements and/or behavior that reflects a potential danger to self and/or others.
· Prepare periodic reports as required.
· Assure compliance with federal, state and district policy, administrative procedures and negotiated agreements as applicable to assignment.
· Maintain current knowledge of program rules, regulations, requirements and restrictions.
· Prepare, deliver or assist with training opportunities as appropriate.
· Establishes an organized and systematic method to maintain appropriate documentation.
· Prioritize, plan and organize work to meet schedules and timelines.
· Demonstrate a positive attitude and act as a positive role model for kids.
· Must demonstrate a desire to see all students learn and succeed.
· Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Protect confidential information.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Location, duties, responsibilities may be altered to meet the needs of the district.
Successful completion of post-offer, pre-employment screenings are required as a contingency of employment.
Contracts are with the district of Daviess County Public Schools-not with individual locations. Location assignments are subject to change.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
1. Certified employee with year-to-year contract until continuing contract is granted
2. Participates in Kentucky Teacher’s Retirement System (KTRS)
( ex. Indoor, environmentally controlled. Typical office environment including but not limited to telephones, personal interruptions, background noises. May require working with or near the public, parents, and children and will be subject to sounds, scents, and other related environmental factors. This position will require dealing with conflict and requires use of sound judgement.)
Physical Demands: (example)
1. Light lifting
2. Sitting for long period of time
3. Hand and finger dexterity
4. Repetitive movement
5. Standing and walking intermittently throughout a typical work day
Travel Requirements: (Frequency and Duration)
<10% out of district
Daily as needed within district boundaries
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of certified personnel. The evaluation will be conducted by the Principal .
By signing below, I acknowledge that I have read and understand the terms set forth in this job description.
Date of Last Revision: 02-12-2020