Public Relations & Social Media Manager
August 28, 2019
Public Relations & Social Media Manager Girl Scouts of West Central Florida
Tampa, FL 33634
$38,000 a year
PUBLIC RELATIONS & SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER
PURPOSE: To develop and implement comprehensive public relations and social media strategies and interactions that promote an awareness of Girl Scouting within the community, supports membership and fund raising goals, and effectively strengthens the Girl Scout brand.
REPORTS TO: Chief Marketing Officer
• Aggressively seeks media opportunities to promote council-wide Girl Scout objectives (this includes but is not limited to program initiatives, supporting the recruitment of girls and volunteers, fund development initiatives) by establishing a presence in the community with key media sources (print, radio, TV, bloggers, etc.).
• Fields inquiries from news media from start to finish including providing facts, pitching media stories, securing girls and volunteers to be featured. Serves as official council spokesperson where appropriate.
• Manages daily social media interactions in collaboration with messaging from the Digital Content Manager to ensure comments, posts and questions are addressed quickly and thoroughly.
• Interfaces with Girl Scouts of the USA and other councils on national and regional initiatives with a PR/Media component. Adapts and implements national initiatives locally within media market.
• Manages council's MediaGirlz team including recruiting, training and providing media opportunities so they are prepared year-round to serve as the official Girl Scout spokespersons of the council.
• Strategizes around and trains PR Volunteers at the community level to increase community awareness.
• Proactively manages sensitive issues and crisis communications including staying abreast of national sensitive issues that may have a local impact, responding to media inquiries, drafting official council statements and staff messages and support on sensitive matters. Updates crisis communications plan on a regular basis.
• Makes community presentations to key constituencies to positively influence public perception of Girl Scouting, as well as to membership to educate about communications initiatives.
• Supports efforts by the Development and Executive teams to foster connections with local government officials and like-minded organizations to enhance advocacy efforts on behalf of girl leadership
• Manage the council archives and coordinates participation in exhibits, fairs and other public media events.
• Fosters community contacts and initiates collaborative efforts which enhance the awareness of the Girl Scout Leadership Experience.
• Cross-train with retail staff on customer service and register operation to provide coverage as needed.
• Provide support to the Digital Content Manager in the planning and writing of articles for the council blog.
• Collaborate with MarComm team on development of comprehensive public relations and communications plan.
• Regularly gathers, evaluates and reports on analytics through social media engagement.
• Participates in establishing marketing, public relations, and communications policies, procedures, plans, goals and budgets; develops and manages the budget for public relations and media efforts
• Meets on a regular basis with various departments to evaluate public relations needs and implement plans as needed that support all council efforts.
• Maintains media clipping system to track media impressions and report to funders, the board, management, etc.
• Proof-reading MarComm materials to ensure use of proper brand voice, spelling and grammar.
• Prepares and manages the budgeting for PR efforts including MediaGirlz, community events and other areas as assigned.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Chief Marketing Officer
• Bachelor's degree with PR, marketing and/or media focus
• One or more years related experience in the field.
• Excellent human relations skills. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with diverse staff and media contacts.
• Experience with major social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Snapchat.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimum supervision and meet deadlines.
• Computer skills, specifically an understanding of Microsoft Office.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills; comfortable speaking on camera or in front of large audiences.
• Be motivated by independent learning and action, creative solutions, collaborative thinking, and personal accountability; maintain a calm, focused demeanor under pressure.
• Ability to commit to a flexible schedule, being available when reporters need information, which may include weekends and evenings.
• Knowledge and acceptance of beliefs and principles of the Girl Scout Movement; willing to register as a member of Girl Scouts of the U.S.A.
Annualized Starting salary: $38,000
GSWCF is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $38,000.00 /year
• Social Media Marketing: 1 year (Preferred)
• Public Relations: 1 year (Preferred)
• Bachelor's (Preferred)
• English (Required)
• Spanish (Preferred)